Some of South Africa’s top chefs and food personalities will be appearing at the Good Food & Wine Show which takes place in Durban at the end of the month.
The theme for this year’s new-look Durban show is Fresh, created by the show’s curator, Hannerie Visser, and is all about one of the biggest current food trends. Increasingly people want to eat fresh seasonal produce and they want to know where it comes from.
The stellar line-up includes George Calombaris, Siba Mtongana, Jenny Morris, Sarah Graham, Siphokazi Mdlankomo, Neill Anthony and J’Something.
The show offers more value-for-money than ever before with a host of theatres offering entertaining programmes in which your favourite chefs cook up a storm, included in the ticket price. It’s on a first come, first served basis.
In addition to the celebrity chefs and a bigger-than-ever array of exhibitors, this year’s show will include a stunning line-up of top attractions including (in alphabetical order):
- Baking Theatre: Baking has made a major comeback around the world and is one of the hottest food trends. Many top-selling cookery books at present focus on home baking, while television shows such as The Great British Bake Off have been hits around the world including South Africa. The Baking Theatre is one of the Good Food & Wine Show’s most popular attractions. See demonstrations on the latest in baking tips and trends with the help of Lisa Raleigh, Lorna Maseko, Clement Pedro, Sherwyn Weaich and Andries Kemp. (Free)
- Book Store: A wide range of cookery books – including some not yet available in this country – will be available for purchase in our book store. There will also be book signings by the chefs including George Calombaris, Jenny Morris, Siba Mtongana and Sarah Graham. (Free)
- Cake Deco Lab incorporating Kids Deco Lab: The Cake Deco Lab will have experts on hand to show you how to sculpt sugar to form flowers, figurines and cake toppers, decorate with sugar paste and make meringues and marshmallow fluff. (Free)
- Chef’s Open Theatre: The Good Food & Wine Show is famous for this hugely popular theatre, and good news is that entry this year is free. This is where local and International chefs come together to cook up a storm, flaunt their culinary expertise and demonstrate why they are such superstars in the kitchen. There’s a fabulous and varied line-up this year including George Calombaris, Jenny Morris, Siba Mtongana, Lorna Maseko, J’Something, MasterChef SA winner Kamini Pather, Siphokazi Mdlakhomo, Neill Anthony, Claire Allen and Sarah Graham. (Free)
- Chef’s Table: Intimate master classes with George Calombaris, Neill Anthony and Siba Mtongana. The cost to cook alongside George is R800 and R300 with Siba and Neill.
- Cooking with Chefs: These are 90-minute hands-on, entertaining demonstrations, where visitors get to cook with local and international chefs. Visitors work at their own cooking stations and after the session can eat what they’ve cooked. There is a real interaction with chefs and a not-to-be-missed opportunity to learn from the best. (Free)
- Eat Well, Live Well: Visitors can get the latest trends on favourite health and wellness brands, together with healthy tasters, demonstrations and products with demonstrations by Kamini Pather, Lisa Raleigh, Vanessa Marx, Sarah Graham, Asha Maharaj, Sandren Govender and Deborah Andrews. (Free)
- Kid’s Corner: Kids Corner will be run by the newly launched Kids Food Academy, an initiative launched by Studio H, that will roll out nationwide from next year, so Durban is the first to experience this. Kids Food Academy is an interactive and fun learning experience that allows kids to take part in the journey that food takes from the farm to the family.
It is an easy to assemble (everything you need comes in a box, you just need to add kids!) and consists of flat-packed cardboard stations and tools, downloadable interactive puzzles, games, fact sheets used at each of the five stations of the journey. Kids take part in five interactive experiences, one at each of five stations:
- Discover: The Rainbow
- Learn: The Farm
- Grow: The Garden
- Taste: The Market
- Share: Photobooth (Free)
- SABC 3 Theatre: Be dazzled by live appearances from local celebrity personalities from leading SABC 3 shows. Come and meet your favourite chef such as Lorna Maseko, Neill Anthony and Clement Pedro. (Free)
- Short Chef, Skinny Chef: The fun interactive theatre was founded during the lead up to MasterChef SA Season 3. Siphokazi and Claire were roommates during boot camp, became close friends and were lucky enough to be announced as Top 12 finalists together. Short Chef Skinny Chef is a cooking duo like no other. Fun, and interactive, this cooking performance will leave viewers full of laughs, learning interesting tips and techniques, pairings, cooks cheats and recipes they can make at home with ease. More than R30 000 worth of prizes will be given away. (Free)
- South African Cake Decorators Guild cake display – More than 40 cakes, magnificently embellished by members of the South African Cake Decorators’ Guild, will be on display. (Free)
- Speciality Coffee Association of Southern Africa: Will be hosting the KZN Regional Barista Championships.
- Shongweni Market: This is the heart of home-grown and artisanal products from cured meats, olives to specialty tea.
- Wine Theatre: Brand new at the show this year. Learn all about wine as well as what varietal goes best with particular dishes. Featuring award-winning sommelier Lloyd Jusa, Lorraine Immelman and Jenny Morris. (Free)
THE GOOD FOOD & WINE SHOW DURBAN
Dates: Friday October 28 to Sunday, October 30.
Venue: Durban Exhibition Centre, 11 Walnut Road, Durban
Hours: Friday, October 28, and Saturday, October 29, 10:00-21:00; Sunday, October 30, 10:00-18:00
- Early bird: R85
- Adults: R100 at the door
- Students: R70
- Age 13-18: R50
- Children under 12: Free
- Senior citizens: R70. Free entry on Friday, October 28.
- Weekend pass: R150
- International chef table: R800
- Local chef table: R300
Wine Tasting Prices:
- Wine Combo Ticket: R130 (Includes show entry, wine tasting glass and five wine tasting vouchers)
- Wine Glass and tasting: R 50 (Includes GFWS glass to keep and five tasting vouchers)
Available through Computicket (www.computicket.com) or at the door.
The Good Food & Wine Show is bought to Durban by the following sponsors: Durban Tourism, SABC3, Core, Rolkem, Clover, Qantas, Taurus, Total Gaz, Sun Coast and Bidvest.
- Twitter @goodfoodSA
- Facebook @Good Food and Wine Show SA